Sunday, December 27, 2015

Autistic People Are Different From Everyone Else

Is This True?
What Is Autism
          Autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized by impaired social interaction, verbal and non-verbal communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior. Parents usually notice signs in the first two years of their child's life. These signs often develop gradually, though some children with autism reach their developmental milestones at a normal pace and then regress. The diagnostic criteria require that symptoms become apparent in early childhood, typically before age three.
          Autistic individuals display many forms of repetitive or restricted behavior, which the Repetitive Behavior Scale-Revised (RBS-R) categorizes as follows. For example, a young boy with autism who has arranged his toys in a row this stereotype is repetitive movement, such as hand flapping, head rolling, or body rocking. Compulsive behavior is intended and appears to follow rules, such as arranging objects in stacks or lines. Sameness is resistance to change; for example, insisting that the furniture not be moved or refusing to be interrupted. Ritualistic behavior involves an unvarying pattern of daily activities, such as an unchanging menu or a dressing ritual. This is closely associated with sameness and an independent validation has suggested combining the two factors.
Restricted behavior is limited in focus, interest, or activity, such as preoccupation with a single television program, toy or game. Self-injury includes movements that injure or can injure the person, such as eye-poking, skin-picking, hand-biting and head-banging. No single repetitive or self-injurious behavior seems to be specific to autism, but only autism appears to have an elevated pattern of occurrence and severity of these behaviors.

Autistic People Are Different
        I had recently been inspired to write about this topic due to a question which was asked by a client. I am not going to go over the details of the reading and what exactly was asked, but this was a topic I wanted to touch base on. This client had it set in their mind that their children was different and they wanted a way to make their children like everyone else. Right from the start I questioned whether or not to proceed, but I followed my heart. It took me an entire day to figure out the best possible answer for this question. Do I go over ways to make their kids normal? Should I list a variety of treatments she should try? Surely her doctor handles that... Then I realized the most obvious thing. This person's children was not the one with the problem, it was the parent for assuming that their children was different. 
           I have the pleasure of knowing a wonderful person who is Autistic and she lives a happy and full life. I have worked as a cashier in the past and have came across people with Autism. I tell you this, they are more "normal" than most "normal" people are. I went into the question explaining how this person's children were no different from any of the other children. I explained to her that she should release that thought, because having a parent who see's their kid as so different from the other's would ultimately not be what's best for the child. Now in no way am I bashing this person, and in no way am I telling this person how to raise a child. I am not a parent. But I do know one thing. If someone who was wheelchair bound for the rest of their life came into a store. Would you see that person as so different from anyone else? Sure they need accommodations for their handicap, but are they "different"? No, they are not different and neither are Autistic people. Sure they learn differently and may experience life differently in ways, but are the literally different? Should they be categorized as not like the rest? Hell No!! 
        I hope this message reaches people who really need this information, and I hope that you accept this view. People with Autism are just like you and me. They shouldn't be treated any differently. Thank you and have a blessed and beautiful night!!

Cosmic Blessings,
Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING:
No Spam, No Advertising, No Hate Comments
Note: If you post scams or spam I will report you.
Thanks, Melody