Monday, May 29, 2017

Baldr: The Shining Brave God

       Baldr, the shining one, the brave God, the Lord of warriors and all men (mankind). He is a God that I feel very honorable towards. He is a God which I did not research into at first. So he was one that came to me in a dream. The entire journey I've been on with my Pagan journey has been one of destiny, fate, and following my heart. I try to not adhere to any one religion or point of view. I merely follow my heart and intuition. My intuitive pull had brought me to Baldr one night in a dream. I will explain my dream as I recall it. I use the term dream, but it seemed more like an Astral experience. As in an Astral Projection. I remember being among a group of people. Everyone and everything was very vivid. I remember it being a town that had a lot of beautiful country side. It was warm there. I recall even feeling the temperature, and having my senses. The people were varied, men, women, children, etc. These were people who I knew in the dream had died. They were what many would consider to be "lost spirits". I recall specifically there being a woman and her kid who was a boy. He wasn't too young, but still would be considered a kid, not a teenager. There were a few teenagers. There was an older man who was looking forward to reconnection with his wife who had long been passed on. I recall a man leading us, and I was helping him. He didn't tell me his name, and I didn't ask. He was very tall and broad. He was shimmering and appeared in a human form. I feel this was moreso for the sake of the "lost spirits". If he showed in a "Godly" form, that would likely scare them. So he showed himself as a tall, broad, man with darker skin. He had a shaved head and a small beard. He was very friendly and always smiling, but his eyes remained focused on the task. The mission was to get these spirits to where they need to be, and for whatever reason, I was there assisting this man. It was this man whom later on in the dream I would come to know was Baldr. Now please keep in mind that this was not someone who I was already familiar with as a God of Mythology. I knew the name, but did not know too much details about him. I had not connected with him in the ways I had with others such as Odin, Frigga, Freya, Loki, Thor, Sif, Odr, etc. The journey in the dream took us around in what looked like a small bus. It was greyish in color. I believe this was so the "lost spirits" could relate and feel more comfortable being transported in what appeared to be an earthly vehicle. The inside looked more technological near the front where the driver would be. Also there was no driver. Baldr stood in front as though he was letting the vehicle know where to go mentally. The scenery of this area was very beautiful though. The colors were very vivid, more vivid then when in a physical body. So that was another clue that this was no ordinary dream, and it was in the astral plane. After we picked up the last person, we had traveled passed a railroad crossing through the actual road. There were cliffs on the right side leading upwards and a beautiful green field on the left side. He had said out loud to everyone with a powerful focused tone of voice, "Hold on, it's about to get very bumpy. Hope you're all ready." Then after that he lifted his hands and the road in front of us began swirling around. It was like water moving down a drain or how matter gets sucked into a black hole. I knew this was a portal. So we traveled through it and it was a very odd feeling. It was like your body being turned and twisted, but it wasn't hurting. There was also large vibrations from moving through the portal, but it was as though the vibations were in your soul. When we got to the other side it was like paradise. Very beautiful like the most amazing landscape you could image times 100. It was also very bright. After we were there we all got off the bus. Everyone was very excited and happy. My attention then left the people and I focused on Baldr, but I assume the people were led to guides to usher them around or to loved ones. But like I said, I was more focused on Baldr. Remember at this point of this dreaming astral experience, I didn't know this man was Baldr. All I knew was that his presence seemed very welcoming and pure. He seemed very loving and like home. You know how you are at work or away for a while, and then you come back home and you feel at ease? That's what this felt like being there. I felt at ease with the scenery and also with himl. It all just felt like "home". He and I were standing face to face and I was looking up to him. I am 5'7 in my physical body form, and he was at least two feet taller then me. But he bent down and we hugged. I remember the feeling of the hug. My face was pushed against his upper belly/ chest area. My arms wrapped around his side. He was embracing me. It felt like seeing an old friend who you hadn't saw or spoken to in so long. I was so very excited and at ease all at the same time. We stopped hugging and I asked him who he was. He then continued to explain that he was Baldr and it is his chosen mission to go around and collect the souls of those who are lost. So if a person dies and they don't go where they need to go then he comes and assists. Or at least he is one who may come to your aid and show you were you need to go. He said there are others in the mission to usher lost souls. He said that the place we were in was the afterlife, the beyond. He used a name and it was an A word. It wasn't Asgard, and I am unsure if this word is even a word known in English or here on earth. But basically it was a heavenly place in the higher realms of light. He told me that he would show me the way back, and the others were upset to see him go. Children were drawn to him, well everyone was drawn to him. Like I've stated before, his energy was so welcoming. They were sad to see him go, but he assured that they'd see him again. He said that he needed to go back to earth to help more people. I was sad that I was going to be ushered back to my body in the physical. But I was also happy for the experience. That was basically the end of this very vivid nightly jounrey that I had. It's your call if you believe me or not, but I tell you what was brought to me. That dream was my awakening to Baldr and how he's not merely a dead God. He's not dead and gone. He is paired with those in the underworld to help lost souls. It is my understanding that his "death" was during a mission to earth. Perhaps he was in a physical incarnation when this death happened, but it was not his soul who died. It was a physical flesh, but it seemed it needed to happen so that he could take on the mission to help the lost souls. You may or may not believe me, and some who read this will automatically discount it. But I am only sharing what I saw in my nightly journey and from what I got from that experience. For me it explains a lot about the store of his "death". How can a God die? A God who is in a physical incarnation for an earthly mission can pass on, well the body can pass on. But the soul will go forth into the realms beyond the physical. Think about how in Christianity Jesus died, but still lived. It was Jesus's physical flesh which died, but his soul didn't. The same can be said for Baldr's death. But that was not meant to be a comparison between Jesus and Baldr. It's merely to explain the death part.


          If you want to know more about Baldr then please continue to read. Baldr (also Balder, Baldur) is a god in Norse mythology, and a son of the god Odin and the goddess Frigg. He has numerous brothers, such as Thor and Váli. The Poetic Edda and the Prose Edda contain numerous references to the death of Baldr as both a great tragedy to the Æsir and a harbinger of Ragnarök. According to Gylfaginning, a book of Snorri Sturluson's Prose Edda, Baldr's wife is Nanna and their son is Forseti. In Gylfaginning, Snorri relates that Baldr had the greatest ship ever built, named Hringhorni, and that there is no place more beautiful than his hall, Breidablik. In the Poetic Edda the tale of Baldr's death is referred to rather than recounted at length. Among the visions which the Völva sees and describes in the prophecy known as the Völuspá is one of the fatal mistletoe, the birth of Váli and the weeping of Frigg (stanzas 31–33). Yet looking far into the future the Völva sees a brighter vision of a new world, when both Höðr and Baldr will come back (stanza 62). The Eddic poem Baldr's Dreams mentions that Baldr has bad dreams which the gods then discuss. Odin rides to Hel and awakens a seeress, who tells him Höðr will kill Baldr but Vali will avenge him (stanzas 9, 11).
           The second son of Odin is Baldur, and good things are to be said of him. He is best, and all praise him; he is so fair of feature, and so bright, that light shines from him. A certain herb is so white that it is likened to Baldr's brow; of all grasses it is whitest, and by it thou mayest judge his fairness, both in hair and in body. He is the wisest of the Æsir, and the fairest-spoken and most gracious; and that quality attends him, that none may gainsay his judgments. He dwells in the place called Breidablik, which is in heaven; in that place may nothing unclean be — Brodeur's translation. Apart from this description Baldr is known primarily for the story of his death. His death is seen as the first in the chain of events which will ultimately lead to the destruction of the gods at Ragnarök. Baldr will be reborn in the new world, according to Völuspá. He had a dream of his own death and his mother had the same dreams. Since dreams were usually prophetic, this depressed him, so his mother Frigg made every object on earth vow never to hurt Baldr. All objects made this vow except mistletoe—a detail which has traditionally been explained with the idea that it was too unimportant and nonthreatening to bother asking it to make the vow, but which Merrill Kaplan has instead argued echoes the fact that young people were not eligible to swear legal oaths, which could make them a threat later in life.
            When Loki, the mischief-maker, heard of this, he made a magical spear from this plant (in some later versions, an arrow). He hurried to the place where the gods were indulging in their new pastime of hurling objects at Baldr, which would bounce off without harming him. Loki gave the spear to Baldr's brother, the blind god Höðr, who then inadvertently killed his brother with it (other versions suggest that Loki guided the arrow himself). For this act, Odin and the giantess Rindr gave birth to Váli who grew to adulthood within a day and slew Höðr. Baldr was ceremonially burnt upon his ship, Hringhorni, the largest of all ships. As he was carried to the ship, Odin whispered in his ear. This was to be a key riddle asked by Odin (in disguise) of the giant Vafthrudnir (and which was, of course, unanswerable) in the poem Vafthrudnismal. The riddle also appears in the riddles of Gestumblindi in Hervarar saga. The dwarf Litr was kicked by Thor into the funeral fire and burnt alive. Nanna, Baldr's wife, also threw herself on the funeral fire to await Ragnarök when she would be reunited with her husband (alternatively, she died of grief). Baldr's horse with all its trappings was also burned on the pyre. The ship was set to sea by Hyrrokin, a giantess, who came riding on a wolf and gave the ship such a push that fire flashed from the rollers and all the earth shook. Upon Frigg's entreaties, delivered through the messenger Hermod, Hel promised to release Baldr from the underworld if all objects alive and dead would weep for him. All did, except a giantess, Þökk often presumed to be the god Loki in disguise, who refused to mourn the slain god. Thus Baldr had to remain in the underworld, not to emerge until after Ragnarök, when he and his brother Höðr would be reconciled and rule the new earth together with Thor's sons.
            At about the end of the 12th century, the Danish historian Saxo Grammaticus tells the story of Baldr (recorded as Balderus) in a form which professes to be historical. I feel this is an account supporting my idea that Baldr's death was merely a physical incarnation death, as opposed to the death of his soul. So this would mean he, as a God, didn't die. But only a physical body which he was in passed on. However, according to this Danish historian, Balderus and Høtherus were rival suitors for the hand of Nanna, daughter of Gewar, King of Norway. Balderus was a demigod and common steel could not wound his sacred body. The two rivals encountered each other in a terrific battle. Though Odin and Thor and the rest of the gods fought for Balderus, he was defeated and fled away, and Høtherus married the princess. Nevertheless Balderus took heart of grace and again met Høtherus in a stricken field. But he fared even worse than before. Høtherus dealt him a deadly wound with a magic sword, named Mistletoe, which he had received from Miming, the satyr of the woods; after lingering three days in pain Balderus died of his injury and was buried with royal honours in a barrow.
         So if you're someone who is wanting to call upon Baldr for assistance or for knowledge, then I would say that he is someone very welcoming and would assist you on your spiritual journey. Someone might want to call upon Baldr if they feel lost on their path or otherwise in need of guidance. Someone might call upon Baldr if they're in a dark place and could use a light at the end of the tunnel. He is a great God to connect with if you are searching for hidden meanings and the illuminated truth. If you're searching for a sign, he is one which will not hesitate to give you one if you're honest, pure of heart, and true to your yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PLEASE READ BEFORE COMMENTING:
No Spam, No Advertising, No Hate Comments
Note: If you post scams or spam I will report you.
Thanks, Melody